Mar
2012

Simple & Effective Self Defense Trachea Strike

Note: The mask and voice changer have been used in this video to protect the identity of Dr.V. Because of his sensitive position and the high level government work he is involved in, he would only share his fighting system with us if he could remain anonymous.

The trachea strike is a very simple, very effective technique. People’s instincts often tell them to strike the head. While a good punch to the head can be effective you have a much larger chance of taking an attacker out if you go for a more sensitive and vital target.

There is an added advantage of striking the throat. It is made of cartilage which won’t cause damage to your hand when you strike it. To further protect yourself and your hands you should use a knuckle strike like Dr. V explained in the video above.

There is no sense in risking damage to your hands, there is simply no need. A knuckle strike to the trachea can be just as devastating as a traditional punch to the throat.

The second major point in this video (and in my opinion the most valuable one) is that to be effective you must strike while you are deflecting an assault from your attacker, not afterward.

If you block an attack without taking advantage of the split second where your attacker is too busy punching you to really protect himself you will simply be starting over at square one. Worse than that if you did not at least take advantage of your ability to close the distance between you and your attacker you will actually be worse off after the block.

Simply blocking a strike puts you in a defensive position. Your goal in any self defense situation is to become the aggressor as quickly as possible. Fights can only be won from the offensive position.

That’s why learning how to block and strike at the same time is so important. It teaches you to take advantage of that split second of vulnerability and go on the offensive before your attacker knows what is happening. Knowing how to close the distance and exploit that vulnerability is the difference between winning and losing a fight.

As Dr. V said in the video be careful with this move it can crush the throat easily so have your partner hold a focus mitt over his throat for practice.

To learn more about Dr. V’s Brutal Beyond Belief Fighting System Click Here.

Leave A Reply:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current ye@r *

October 27, 2014
Henry Alford says:

Very good technics.

October 25, 2014
Frank says:

Just a general comment to you Bob. You offer so many “lethal” and “effective” DVD’s from some very well known people and some who work behind closed doors, off the books and so on that it’s hard to choose an instructor/method. I am curious what you and/or your featured instructors would suggest or say to that. I have some of your cheap DVD’s and I am very happy with them.

September 19, 2014
Tom Hill says:

Thanks so much for all of your fighting techniques that you share with us. I am disabledd
and would not be able to go very long ina real throw down fight; but with many of these moves that youshare I believe that I can either take out an attacker, or at least stun him enough to give me time to get away, or if needed to pull my weapon for self defense.

September 10, 2014
khaled says:

scratching the outer of the real experience of this guy

August 16, 2014
Bert Carroll says:

A great tip, but hope I never need it. Bert

August 9, 2014
Derek Smith AKA Dr. V says:

Hello folks, I wanted to address a couple of the comments. 1.The reason we wore masks is because I was still a federal agent at the time and was required to conceal my identity. The guy with me is a lieutenant on a police department and did not want to conceal himself either. 2. Although my buddy was shorter than me, all the techniques I teach can apply to any size person. There are no muscles in the trachea that can prevent even a small child from damaging your trachea. 3. Yes I did say 5 pounds of pressure. It is very simple to destroy a trachea. BTW in my other set of DVDS “Special Agent Combatives” I use another special agent friend of mine who happens to weigh in at 340 pounds…I am 240.

August 7, 2014
TONY D says:

I happen to own this video and believe me, this is not the only useful technique Dr.V has to offer. I have plugged this technique into my own version of JKD.

July 29, 2014
dick postell says:

These short but very effective videos provide tools for protection and lifesaving to help those of us who cant afford a full blown package program at this time but we can learn a fee tips to protect ourselves. Thank you and your staff.

June 11, 2014
Lehrue Stevens III says:

Very Lethal*
LSIII

March 16, 2014
Lars says:

Thanks, that is one of the first strikes you learn in Wing Chun.

January 21, 2014
Sunny says:

Thank you Dr. V! All you guys are awesome for helping people understand simple ways to protect themselves. Too hard to remember the pretty moves when you are scared to death!
Sunny

December 2, 2013
Jerry says:

Hi Bob,

I really love your stuff, but have a hard time implementing it. I would order everything, but I know I wouldn’t get to it properly. I’m swamped right across the board.

Your material has really helped me know more about myself in surprising ways such as the following. . .

I was involved in The Battle of Los Angeles and – in case you didn’t know – it was simply a firing off of many howitzers against potential enemy aircraft in 1942 or 1943 in the Southern California area. Lots of noise, flashes, searchlights, shrapnel and incredible concussions. I was about five at the time.

Each time one of these really big howitzers fired, my bed with me in it would dance on the floor. The guns were positioned in the many parks around the area.

Being only five and scared out of my wits I made all kinds of weird assumptions. I envisioned a giant was stalking the land and each time a howitzer fired I believed the giant was putting a huge foot down and I tried to note whether the giant was getting nearer or not. I did know about bombs and their aftermath of splintering everything they fell on. I didn’t feature being ‘splintered.’

I’m 76 going on 77 and only now realizing this episode produced PTSD in me without my knowing it. I came to this conclusion recently after watching a video showing Syrian children who had been in areas in Syria under bombing conditions who had been transported to Lebanon. In the video I saw them at play and noted how they were exhibiting extremely aggressive behavior with their fellow children. One little guy looked like he was going to tear another little guy to shreds.

My “battle” happened to me at the age of five about the same age as these kids.

In grade school, I would take the same anger and aggression out on kids after school. I would come up behind and get them in a throat-hold with my right arm and rotate and jerk them to the ground. I chose kids I held a grudge against, and let others go. I didn’t like what would happen in response, but felt very little pain.

One fellow who accompanied me on these excursions was tougher and maybe a little more mentally deprived and very suggestion prone. I turned all the physical stuff over to him and merely made suggestions on our next prey as I watched from a safe distance. This guy was tall and bore a slight resemblance to Boris Karloff’s monster. He carried out my orders to a tee. He would lay off if I said so.

It’s incredible that I am only now finding out what went on so long ago. I am 76 and going on 77 in June and it took all those years to understand why I did what I did. My father used to ask me that very question: “What makes you do the things you do?”

Now I know the answer, but it’s a little late. . .Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Jerry

November 20, 2013
Larry T Del Buco says:

The videos are great….
Krav Maga, damn, I always thought it was instinct, been there, done that, they say. I always tell the women, in my circle, don’t rely on the sprays or stingers. They can be taken away, and turned against you. A defensive move, or offensive, no one can use against you, ‘specially while on the ground, gasping for breath. L.O.L.
Just enough force to let em know “where it’s at”. And time to walk away.
Boger….You’re right on mister.
T. Pendlebury…..Love that..’Lil orphan Annies dog comment. Kudos my friend. Rock on. And hey, thanx for your service. Thanx.
P.S. I just strive to be awake and aware, I mean no harm to anyone. I’ll walk away from a fight…….If I can

November 1, 2013
Steven Strouth says:

This one very easy for anybody to learn.

October 21, 2013
James vC says:

Thank you for the lesson. I am a 75 year old disabled veteran , I live in a very dangerous neighborhood.It is not safe to walk the streets in this area in the daylight –after dark it is suicide by thugs.I believe with a few more of these lessons I would have a better chance of survival against the thugs.

September 3, 2013
Latastrophe says:

I’m thankful to all of you that share this info with people that want to learn. I’m sure you have had problems from the law about posting so many techniques that you have taught all of us, yet u continue to push ahead. This type of teaching frightens law enforcement b/c they know that the average joe can learn from just watching and practicing these videos. Law enf relies on weapons (tasers,etc) as opposed to fightfast techniques. To me, law enf is a joke anymore. I might actually have respect for some of these “officers” if they manned-up and began using physical techniques on an individual that you feel comfortable is not armed. Yeh, i would support and respect the law if they brought back mono y mono rather than reaching for a device that no man (or woman) should have to be stricken with. Its used on cattle for Christ’s sake. Man-up those of u law enforcement individuals that walk around like u are so tough. Every squadron should be required to know how to use all of these teachings from fightfast. Hell, put 3-5 officers in a room with dvd player and require them to devote 30 min a week to watching and practicing these videos. Then u have the right to strut around like a bad-ass, but not until u actually learn to use the moves on civilians rather than reaching for the cattle shocker when someone doesn’t jump as high as u ask them too. Thank you, fightfast. It is really appreciated the things you teach and if I had the funds, I would purchase half a million dvd’s from you and place them in every public library as possible. So if u have an order placed for that many dvd’s, you know that I had a strong year of sales commissions come through.

August 12, 2013
Solo says:

I too am a law enforcement officer and am amazed at ALL we are NOT taught at law enforcement academies ‘re self defense prior to pinning on the badge. I have learned more on my own (dime) and these videos continue to amaze me with their simplicity and effectiveness. I couple what I learn here with what learn in Krav.

August 5, 2013
Trélys DuPré says:

Outstanding

July 12, 2013
Little Mikey says:

I’m a retired police officer (16 years ago, and I had 20 years of civilian police experience)who very strongly agree with the move shown in this video and can endorse what Dr. V demonstrated. During my years as a policeman, I was also a martial arts instructor in the Koga technique. We were saddled with having to be careful about how we used it on violent subjects and arrestees, etc. But if you’ve got to defend yourself, might as well do it correctly and make the assailant sorry he ever decided to mess with you.

July 3, 2013
T.Pendlebury says:

A civil service tweaker took offense at the Commander ordering my signiture on everything he sent out to the fleet (Navy ships). I stood up at my desk and got pushed. He was a big civilian and started to push me again so I swept his approaching arm and pushed the web of my right hand directly into his trachea. His eyes rolled up so far there was just whites showing like Lil Orphan Annies dog.
I walked up to report to the Skipper and offered to resign but all he said was when he wakes up tell him he is being transferred tomorrow. 45min later he had recovered enough to leave.
The lesson he learned was “Never mess with the Command Master Chief when he is in his own office and fresh back from 7 years in Viet Nam.” and yes sir I know that the same strike with my knuckles instead of the web would have killed him but I don’t do that for the mistake of disrespect. Resp. Master Chief T.Pendlebury U.S.N. ret.

June 20, 2013
thomas boger says:

yr have been teaching this strike for over 20yrs to rookie Officers during BLET (basic law enforcement training) here in NC, the only difference is I teach to ust the web of the hand ( between thumb and Index finger) it will stop an aggressor in his track. the danger of using the fingers of knuckle punch is that you CAN KILL with this strike.
Thomas Boger
Retired Chief of Police

June 5, 2013
Cath says:

Really appreciate these free videos! And the trachea strike is great for someone small like me who would be at an immediate disadvantage in any sort of physical confrontation. Dr. V said to keep your head down to protect yourself. That’s great for someone who’s tall, but, for someone like me who’s shorter than just about everyone else, if I keep my head down, about the only thing I’d be looking at is the lettering on my opponent’s t-shirt (or the middle button of his shirt) and wouldn’t be able to watch him — any thoughts about that? I also wanted to mention that the strike to the trachea in the video was difficult to see because his helper’s left fist blocks our view of it.

May 22, 2013
Corby says:

May 19, 2013
Andre says:

I understand and agree =, however all that is shown and taught on the videos is always low training skills. This one is all timing and if our oerson dosen’t have much training in the arts it won’t happen as you predict.

April 15, 2013
RON A says:

Thank you MR.V ! for sharing the proper way to engage with treachea strike! and BOB, THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING PEOPLE THE TOOLS THEY NEED TOO SURVIVE THE STREETS/WORLD..
DIFINETLY HELPING SAVE LIFES…

March 19, 2013
rosalio says:

THANK YOU FOR SENDING ME A DIRECT COUNTER, HOW TO DEFENSE IN A SIMPLE WAY OF RESPONDCING A STRAIGHT JOB.VERY NICE AND DEVASTATING.I THINK I USE THAT TECHNIQUES FOR MY SELF DEFENCE JUST INCASE OF EMERGENCY. GOD BLESS AND MORE POWER.

March 19, 2013
Tam says:

Great stuff,

i have learned something new on every one , this particular one the strike to the throat, i am guessing it would also be a good move to just cripple him enough to get away maybe a strike to the groin or the c move method to the throat,,,just enough to stun and run, iam a disabled guy my back was blown out,,,some of these challenge me, however i do them with my work out.

February 25, 2013
Gregor Rowe says:

I remember learning this in advanced Kyokushin training over 4 decades back. It is quite effective. J. Karate also provides for strikes to side of throat. I don’t care how ‘muscled up’ attacker is, the throat is vulnerable. One of those I hope I never need to know…

December 17, 2012
Bob says:

Thank you for this compact and effective technique. I will be sure to show this to my wife. It seems this kind of information is becoming more and more necessary in these times.

December 15, 2012
Harold says:

Again, another video with the tall guy defending against a shorter guy. When you reverse the situation the short guy is in a bad situation. Less reach and having to throw the punch in an upward position. The shorter guy will probably weigh less than his oponnent. That means that when he tries to block the blow and throw the punch he will probably be pushed sideways from the block and totally miss the throat. The oponnents left hand comes into play and it’s all down hill after that. I wouldn’t try this move unless I was the bigger guy.

December 5, 2012
Sheila says:

I think this one important move is a must for any woman to learn and use if she is attacked.
Kudos for putting this out there!

November 30, 2012
Wizzardly says:

Looks like a Krav Maga technique, especially with the knee follow-up.

October 16, 2012
Roberto says:

Hi, Bob!

Thanks for your explanation; wow, it’s incredible, just five pounds of pressure!!!!
Yes, the trachea strike is a really powerful technique to use if you’re in a danger situation!

As a Ryukyu Kempo black belt i often use pressure points in my dojo, and i can assure you we don’t joke, but we never taught about throat strikes; that’s why i found very useful this video.

Thankyou again and good job!

October 15, 2012
Bob says:

Hey Roberto,
You heard right. It only takes about 5 pounds of pressure to crush the trachea. That’s why it’s such a great target to use in a life threatening situation. It’s also why you should always use protective gear when practicing this technique.

I’m glad you are finding the videos useful. Good luck in your self defense training.

October 15, 2012
Roberto says:

Hi.

Video of Dr. V is a really tough one, and the trachea strike is a quick and nasty way to end a fight.

I’d have just a request; in this video Dr. V., speaking about the trachea strike, tells about ” five pounds of pressure” in order to crush the trachea.

Is it real, o it’s me that i didn’t listen well ’cause Dr. V. altered voice????

Thanks anyway, this stuff rocks!
Roberto

September 28, 2012
Michael L says:

That’s a big dude Bob, Dr. V is alright with me. I’ll have to get his video….thanks Bob, these videos are helping me a lot.

September 22, 2012
Ken says:

This one is exceptional. We need to have this one in our arsenal for sure….

Thanks Bob,

Ken

PS I really enjoy these “FREE” videos, keep em’ coming…..